Counseling Mission Statement
We the counselors of Brooklyn City Schools recognize the continual changes that occur on a daily basis in our society and the direct impact those changes have on our students, families, and the community at large. Our number one priority is to provide a comprehensive, developmental program that is accessible for all students and works collaboratively with other essential school programs in their effort to advocate for student success.
We provide a carefully planned program that helps our students acquire developmentally appropriate skills, and the latest methods, activities, materials, and technology are used to cultivate lifelong learners.
Dear Brooklyn Elementary Families,
Welcome back! I hope that you had a wonderful summer and are ready for an exciting year of learning! My name is Denise Smith and I am your child’s school counselor. My job is to promote educational achievement, prevention, and intervention services while advocating for personal, social, emotional academic and career development. Basically, I am here to help overcome any obstacles that may be in the way of your child’s success. I do so by providing services in many ways. Some of which include:
- Developing positive attitudes toward self and others
- Increasing motivation and confidence for success
- Teaching decision making, problem solving & communication skills
- Creating an emotionally healthy school learning environment
- Improving cooperation between home and school
- Building tolerance & appreciation of all ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Intervening in conflict, crisis and emergency situation
Some of the avenues used to implement the above include: classroom guidance, small groups, individual sessions, participation & collaboration amongst various committees/team meetings.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call.
Denise Smith, M.Ed.