Dear Friends of the Brooklyn City Schools-
As the 2018-2019 School Year officially comes to a close, and I write to thank the entire Hurricane Family for their efforts during another year of hard work, dedication to the district and success. Such achievement was on display last weekend at Commencement, when the Class of 2019 officially graduated on Sunday, June 2, 2019. This class earned more than $235,000 in total scholarships, awards and grants, saved more than $100,000 in tuition from college credits earned during high school, and features at least two student-athletes who will go on to compete in sports at the collegiate level. On behalf of the Board of Education and everyone at the Brooklyn City Schools, I thank the Class of 2019 for their leadership as seniors this past year and I wish them well in their future endeavors. The rest of the students completed their school year on Tuesday, June 4th as a variety of last-day activities, events and fun took place.
The 2018-2019 School Year can be characterized as one of academic achievement and co-curricular success at all grade levels and in every aspect of operations. Just consider that throughout the year:
- Performance Index, Graduation Rate and Progress grades all improved for the second consecutive year on the State Report Card
- Our Brooklyn School Robotics Team served as champs at Polaris Career Center in their first competition
- The Brooklyn High School Varsity Hockey Team won its 3rd Consecutive Conference Championship
- We had a number Power of the Pen qualifiers advance to different levels of statewide competition
- The District hosted another successful Spring Musical of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, in which dozens of students performed or helped to carry out the performance
- The community supported the passage of Issue 1 this past May that will help stabilize district finances
With this financial stability, demonstrated growth on the report card and the many co and extra-curricular successes, the Brooklyn City Schools expects even more achievement in the future. Thank you for your support this school year. Have a safe and enjoyable summer break.
Dr. Mark Gleichauf
Superintendent of Schools